my 2 most annoying symptoms
Mary
2003-06-29 17:21:07 UTC
1. Out of body feeling. I feel like I am almost watching someone live my
life. It goes from that feeling to the living in a bubble effect. The most
severe case of this is when I am at a shopping mall - just too much going
on. I force myself to just get through it. The best thing anyone ever said
to me was that 'you won't faint, as much as you feel like you will'. It's
very true, of course I never faint. This is made worse by the fact that I
have fainted a few times in my life for various reasons. I guess that the
people who have fear of fainting probably have fainted before (non-panic
related).
Hi Pete: I have had that out of body feeling for about 15 years (off and
on). Its called de-realization and sometimes depersonalization. I describe
it more as feeling unreal, as if I suddenly become aware of my body and
wonder who I am and what I am doing, and I don't know if what I see is real
or not. It usually lasts only a couple of minutes thank goodness, but while
it lasts its rather disconcerting. When I first got it years ago, it started
with some anxiety attacks I used to get on the subway and on the subway
platform. I felt the platform was tilted and the subway cars were going too
fast on the rails. I don't go on the subway any more because I don't work
downtown. But I have other phobias to contend with.

But about the unreal feeling you are asking about, it scared me when I first
had it and I had a complete medical at the time to do with it and the
anxiety I was having. Nothing showed up. Eventually, I knew I had to live
with the unreal feeling. AT the time someone told me about Claire Weekes
book "Hope and Help for your Nerves" which I bought and it describes
feelings of unrealilty, so I was relieved to have it identified. My theory
is that your mind and body become exhausted at times from anxiety that you
don't even know is there. After I realized what it was, I was not afraid of
it any more. I still have it, mainly when I get tired, but it doesn't last
long, and I know its nothing serious. I find it more annoying than anything
else. (same with all my anxiety symptoms).
2. The other thing I hate is my regular 'bed panic'. It's the same every
night. I am ok for the first 10 minutes and then when I start drifting off
to sleep those nervous jolts that everyone gets start to freak me out -
keep
thinking that I might have a fit or something. Of course I never have had
fit !! These sudden panic alerts as I am falling asleep can sometimes keep
me awake for 2 hours before sheer exhaustion eventually lets me fall
asleep.

I can't comment on the above, since I've never had that.
But maybe someone else can comment.
I really hate this whole syndrome - not fun. I am sure I will be ok
though.
I appreciate anyone's thoughts on these two issues I have raised.
My first full blown attack happened around 2 months ago when I checked
myself into hospital thinking I was having a heart attack only to be told
that my heart is in spectacular condition !! They said 'maybe you had a
panic attack?'. throw is a job that I hate and I have lived in my fishbowl
ever since!!
At least you will be relived to know your heart is ok and at least they gave
you their opinion that it was a panic attack. Doctors don't always consider
that symptoms of panic could be panic.
When you say "throw" is a job you hate, what is your meaning?

MaryJ
news.netspace.net.au
2003-06-29 22:11:14 UTC
throw is a job that I hate and I have lived in my fishbowl
ever since!!
Sorry ! I did mean 'throw in a job that I hate'....meaning that when this is
added to the mix, it doesn't help!!

Many thanks for your thought folks. One comment did strike a nerve....'watch
your caffine intake'.

Although I have cut back, I do enjoy a strong coffee in the morning & try to
keep it to decaf through the day.

How much does the cafine mess with our heads ?

Pete
[...]
Cheers
Pete
Rick
2003-06-30 05:49:52 UTC
Post by news.netspace.net.au
throw is a job that I hate and I have lived in my fishbowl
ever since!!
Sorry ! I did mean 'throw in a job that I hate'....meaning that when this is
added to the mix, it doesn't help!!
Many thanks for your thought folks. One comment did strike a nerve....'watch
your caffine intake'.
Although I have cut back, I do enjoy a strong coffee in the morning & try to
keep it to decaf through the day.
How much does the cafine mess with our heads ?
Pete
All I know is any treating party I've ever spoke to has said to limit it
in context of PD and GAD. From personal experience, I'd have to say the
last thing I would want to put in my system is any extra stimulants.
Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others. I can do one cup
a day but on many days the 2nd one can make me a wreck for hours. I have
one friend with PD that cannot tolerate even one cup of coffee without
getting physical tremors from the caffeine.

Don't forget your extra sources of caffeine as well. It doesn't have to
be a cola type soda to contain caffeine. Orange soda can contain as much
caffeine as Coke or Pepsi. Root beer as well. Many non cola sodas aren't
caffeine free. And if you eat chocolate...

You have to feel your own situation out for yourself. But overall it
isn't the greatest thing going for PD.
Pete
Dave
2003-06-30 03:21:42 UTC
had a panic attack at the age of 20 ! They almost laughed at me when I asked
them If I had a heart attack hehe. Took a few months before all panics
attacks disappeard completly.

But I had them againce since 2 months ago (14 years later). They still think
all the symptoms I have are created by myself, I believe them, but I just
cant rid of them anymore. Its a lot worst than 14 years ago. Friday night I
woke up and dressed up to make sure I wouldnt die in my bed (ran outside of
the house with no choose). 30 min later I was back in my bed exausted...

I dont know what to do now. Im suppose to start taking pills for that
tomorrow, I think I have no choice for now.

Anyway, Im glad to see Im the alone

later
Pete
mollymac
2003-07-07 01:11:04 UTC
Hi Dave

I replied to the original so so maybe you might have a wee read? Nobody
except those who have experienced
panic attacks really understand the fear.

Because my attacks are totally gone now I can look back
and know that I did right. I left my work. This was the stressful
situation which caused the attacks. Yours might be another situation but
you have to get out of it to start recovery.

If not then be serious about a rescue therapy of some sort. like is too
short to have to suffer this awful and needless torture.

Good Luck

Molly
Pete
mollymac
2003-07-07 00:59:15 UTC
I had panic attacks for several years so I know the hell you are going
through. I'm great now and have no attacks.

My cure was effected by my leaving a stressful work environment. The stress
was causing my panic and I was drinking to 'cope' with the situations that
caused me to panic.

When I left the work I stopped drinking with no problem and the panic
attacks disappeared. (My sister got panic attacks but she never took to
drink but cured herself by leaving her also stressful work).

For your 'bed panics' I highly recommend that you get a and play either a CD
or cassette of relaxation as soon as you get into bed. There are a number
of these available on the market and I can give you names and details if you
want. Some are relaxation music and others are a talk through relaxation
programme. I also listen to story telling tapes and they work great. (Not
thrillers)

I'm a very bad sleeper and suffer from stress but hate medication. My
'sleeper' is my CD or Cassette and I fall asleep by LISTENING.

There is a good suppy of audio cassettes (Books/Novels) available from local
libraries. I make good use of these.

Try this method for anti panic sleep and I promise it will help. It's
important that you focus and listen rather than dwell on your need for
sleep. This way you will drift off and the CD/Cassette will just turn
itself off automatically.
Pete
LB
2004-10-18 11:36:01 UTC
I used to have that one. You'd get right to the edge of falling asleep,
then a jolt of panic would bring you right back to being full awake. It
just went away by itself. I would watch your caffeine intake though and
keep it to a minimum - see if that helps.
New here, but had to comment on this:

This "phenomenon" you describe is exactly what I go through on occasion.
I can't believe that someone knows this feeling. I used to have it all
the time when I just started having panic attacks years ago, but now
only have it on occasion, usually when I sometimes take a nap on the
couch during the day. I think it would have to be my most disconcerting
symptom because it comes more out of the blue. I usually know a bit
ahead of time when I'm going to have a panic attack.

Lisa
sir_anxious
2004-11-07 21:25:52 UTC
Oh My goodness,

lmao! I have the same thing. It's new to me though. I was just telling a
friend that my panic attacks are mutating. When I first started having them
pa's, I kept feeling as though I was having a heat attack, but then that
went away and I didn't have an attack for a while after that. Suddenly I
would be drifting off to sleep and just pitch right out of the bed, with
heart racing, shortness of breath and disillusioned. Now, I'm afraid to fall
asleep cause I feel I will not wake the next day. ~ Years ago I use to have
Migraines and use to tell people that a headache has to be the most retarded
illness ever, I mean why would your brain hurt!? I now take that back, Panic
attacks are the silliest illness! Why would anyone get scared and start
panicking for no apparent reason??? Just retarded!
Lisa
eddie
2004-11-09 19:49:19 UTC
does anyone experiance the symtoms of peoples faces looking morphed?does
anyone know why i might be getting these symtoms?i am on 400mg of
citralopram pd. hope someone can help
Lisa
Sue
2004-11-08 16:55:40 UTC
Rick

My therapist once told me, I forget the medical term, but that
"out of bidy feeling you describe is actually an emotional detachment
issue. It's a way you detach yourself from an unhappy/painful
situation.
Sue
sir_anxious
2004-11-09 13:17:49 UTC
Hi Sue,

This could exactly be what my problem is. I recently got married and I now
realize what a huge mistake it was. Now I'm very unhappy and want to leave.
So I'm battling with some issues right now. Getting married is what brought
on my anxiety!
Sue
Brenda G. Kent
2004-11-09 19:56:53 UTC
Hi Sue,

This could exactly be what my problem is. I recently got married and I now
realize what a huge mistake it was. Now I'm very unhappy and want to
leave.
So I'm battling with some issues right now. Getting married is what
brought
on my anxiety!

You CAN get away. My marriage fell apart in the middle of me getting
treated for anxiety...I managed to leave him and am now very happy.

It can be done.

Have faith.

Bren
--