What to do about my fear of moving?
boubou
2005-11-20 00:48:24 UTC
We've been in this beautiful house for 7 years. We've never been too
happy with the road and cemetary situation in the back along with we'd
like to have more space and privacy.
We've put a lot of money into the house blah blah blah....long story
short, we've been looking for a new house for a loooong time.
We finally found the house of our dream and it seems that I have to
find something wrong with it - like I did at the last offer we had
which fell through thanks to me!.
We sold our house bought the other one but I AM SOOOOOOOO Scared!
I can't eat, tremble all the time, feeling of dread in my stomach.
What's wrong with me???
We could have stayed here, that way, I wouldn't have to deal with the
move but I'd always keep searching, looking for another place we'll
like better.
What's the best thing to do?
I don't want to talk to ppl around me about this, they'll think I'm
nuts.
Mary
2005-11-20 01:28:17 UTC
Post by boubou
We've been in this beautiful house for 7 years. We've never been too
happy with the road and cemetary situation in the back along with we'd
like to have more space and privacy.
We've put a lot of money into the house blah blah blah....long story
short, we've been looking for a new house for a loooong time.
We finally found the house of our dream and it seems that I have to
find something wrong with it - like I did at the last offer we had
which fell through thanks to me!.
We sold our house bought the other one but I AM SOOOOOOOO Scared!
I am a bit confused here.
Did you buy the one where the deal fell through,by making another offer?
Post by boubou
I can't eat, tremble all the time, feeling of dread in my stomach.
What's wrong with me???
We could have stayed here, that way, I wouldn't have to deal with the
move but I'd always keep searching, looking for another place we'll
like better.
What's the best thing to do?
Well, since you already bought the house and sold your own house, it
looks like you will have to move into the house you bought. Did your
husband not agree to selling the old house and buying the new one?
Post by boubou
I don't want to talk to ppl around me about this, they'll think I'm
nuts.
I don't think you are nuts, but just worried if you did the right thing
in buying another house. But you said you were not entirely happy with
the house you have been living in and wanted more space and privacy and
didn't like the road where you live (too busy?) and didn't like to be
near a cemetary. These are all good reasons to want to want to move and
like I said, when you say "we" you must mean someone besides yourself?.
Once you move, you will probably feel ok and be happy with your new
house. You are just nervous right now. Maybe you want to go to the
doctor and get something for your nerves while you go through this bad
time. I find moving is stressful. Not always about did I do the right
thing, but its stressful starting over in a new area where you don't
know anybody or where anything is. It takes time to get settled in a new
area but once there, you will get used to it and meet new people.

Mary
boubou
2005-11-20 04:04:07 UTC
No, we didn't buy the first one, we just kept on looking until we finally
found this one.
We, as my partner and I both wanted this.
I've moved all my life without any trouble but never by choice (military).
This is IS by choice so making the decision myself was not easy. They are
all the right reasons, layout of house, cemetary and busy traffic road with
large trucks and motorcycle which I find very aggravating when trying to
relax during the summer months. I don't like noise, it irritates me very
much.
We've been here long enough to find friends and grow some roots and I
console myself knowing that's not lost, just a 20 min drive to visit.
Nevertheless, I feel like once again, moving somewhere strange, making new
friends, behing the new strangers that don't belong into that even smaller
village....
I know, HOPE I feel better after the move and I think I may just go see the
doctor for medication in the meantime. Also don't like any kind of meds,
I'll probably paranoi about that too.
Thanks for your answer Mary, it helps talking about it to someone.
Mary
Mary
2005-11-20 05:21:09 UTC
Post by boubou
This is IS by choice so making the decision myself was not easy. They are
all the right reasons, layout of house, cemetary and busy traffic road with
large trucks and motorcycle which I find very aggravating when trying to
relax during the summer months. I don't like noise, it irritates me very
much.
We've been here long enough to find friends and grow some roots and I
console myself knowing that's not lost, just a 20 min drive to visit.
Well, thats one consolation that you are moving close by your old place.
Post by boubou
Nevertheless, I feel like once again, moving somewhere strange, making new
friends, behing the new strangers that don't belong into that even smaller
village....
I know, HOPE I feel better after the move and I think I may just go see the
doctor for medication in the meantime. Also don't like any kind of meds,
I'll probably paranoi about that too.
I'm kind of paranoid about medications myself due to allergies and bad
side effects when its not allergies :) but when I have to take meds, I
ask the doctor for the lowest dose possible, then if its tabs, I take a
quarter or less of what is prescribed -whatever I can take without bad
side effects- I am extremely super sensitive to many medications. If its
capsules, that is not so handy, so I ask for the lowest dose the pill
comes in.
I think you will manage ok and be quite happy in your new house. You
and your partner wanted this, so try to remember why you wanted to move
and keep that in your uppermost mind and downplay the fear and anxiety
which will probably disappear once you move. when are you moving by the
way?

Mary
Mary
boubou
2005-11-20 13:56:34 UTC
We move the 22nd of December!!! I guess I'll be home for Xmas!!! Boy this
is going to be a challenge.
Thankfully, I don't have to do any packing, moving and un-packing, the
military owed me a move (retired last november)
so that's a huge weight off my shoulders.
The one thing that's been part of our decision making is that my mother in
law lost her husband last year. She's been doing
terrific up until this summer. She started coming over for weekends, if not
us, my sister in law, and this weekend, she's
spending at her neice. We told her she'd be welcome to stay with us so we
needed a bigger place where we
could all have our space when needed. She has been suffering from anxiety
attacks too from behing alone and cannot
tolerate behing on her own anymore.
I've seen what the medication did to her and did not like it.
Now that the paperwork is signed and there is no more decision making
involved, I seem to feel a little better.
I still feel anxiety if I start thinking about leaving this house but try to
push it back and replace these
thoughts with furniture placement in the other house lol

Thanks so much for listening
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Mary
Cathy
2005-11-20 17:45:19 UTC
Post by boubou
We move the 22nd of December!!! I guess I'll be home for Xmas!!! Boy this
is going to be a challenge.
One time I moved at the beginning of December and was 8 months pregnant
and another time my daughter moved when she was two weeks from giving
birth so that was challenging to say the least.
Post by boubou
Thankfully, I don't have to do any packing, moving and un-packing, the
military owed me a move (retired last november)
so that's a huge weight off my shoulders.
Yes, the packing is probably the worst part of moving. I don't mind the
unpacking so much because you can leave many of the boxes till you feel
like emptying them. But packing is the worst ordeal and going back and
forth between the old place and new place.I hate moving but what can you
do if you want to move.
Post by boubou
The one thing that's been part of our decision making is that my mother in
law lost her husband last year. She's been doing
terrific up until this summer. She started coming over for weekends, if not
us, my sister in law, and this weekend, she's
spending at her neice. We told her she'd be welcome to stay with us so we
needed a bigger place where we
could all have our space when needed. She has been suffering from anxiety
attacks too from behing alone and cannot
tolerate behing on her own anymore.
I've seen what the medication did to her and did not like it.
Well, of course, depends on the medication and depends how people react
to it. Many people seem to do quite well on some medications and really
need them in order to function better, but for me, I do not do well on
most medications, though I have to take coumadin, a blood thinner. Its
not an option.
Post by boubou
Now that the paperwork is signed and there is no more decision making
involved, I seem to feel a little better.
I still feel anxiety if I start thinking about leaving this house but try to
push it back and replace these
thoughts with furniture placement in the other house lol
Yes, thats what to do. Try to practice cognitive behavior therapy and
not exagerrate your thinking, which is not always easy, but even if it
just works sometimes, it helps.

Mary
Post by boubou
This is IS by choice so making the decision myself was not easy.
They
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
are
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Mary
Mary
2005-11-20 17:46:38 UTC
Hi again, so as not to confuse you, sometimes I use Cathy, but its me
Mary who wrote the message below..

Mary
Post by Cathy
Post by boubou
We move the 22nd of December!!! I guess I'll be home for Xmas!!!
Boy
Post by Cathy
this
Post by boubou
law lost her husband last year. She's been doing
terrific up until this summer. She started coming over for
weekends,
Post by Cathy
if not
Post by boubou
Now that the paperwork is signed and there is no more decision making
involved, I seem to feel a little better.
I still feel anxiety if I start thinking about leaving this house
but
Post by Cathy
try to
Post by boubou
This is IS by choice so making the decision myself was not easy.
They
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
are
Post by boubou
all the right reasons, layout of house, cemetary and busy traffic
road
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
with
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
relax during the summer months. I don't like noise, it irritates
me
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
very
Post by Cathy
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Nevertheless, I feel like once again, moving somewhere strange,
making
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
new
Post by Cathy
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
side effects- I am extremely super sensitive to many medications.
If
Post by Cathy
its
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
which will probably disappear once you move. when are you moving
by
Post by Cathy
the
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
way?
Mary
Post by Cathy
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
Post by boubou
We've been in this beautiful house for 7 years. We've never
been
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
too
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
Post by boubou
happy with the road and cemetary situation in the back along
with
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
we'd
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Cathy
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
Post by boubou
What's wrong with me???
We could have stayed here, that way, I wouldn't have to deal
with
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
the
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
Post by boubou
like better.
What's the best thing to do?
Well, since you already bought the house and sold your own
house,
Post by Cathy
it
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
Post by boubou
I don't want to talk to ppl around me about this, they'll
think
Post by Cathy
I'm
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
the house you have been living in and wanted more space and
privacy
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
and
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
didn't like the road where you live (too busy?) and didn't like
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
be
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
near a cemetary. These are all good reasons to want to want to
move
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
and
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
doctor and get something for your nerves while you go through
this
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
bad
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
Post by Mary
know anybody or where anything is. It takes time to get settled
in a
Post by boubou
Post by boubou
new
Mary
j***@yahoo.com
2005-12-17 19:02:37 UTC
Dear friend,

I call this decision-phobia. Decison-making is difficult for many
people. Remember, it's the choosing that is important, not the
outcome. If you make a choice, you will feel empowered and the outcome
of the choice is not that important because you can always make another
one to correct your situation. All decisions are made on insufficient
data. A friend of mine said there is no such thing as a calculated
risk. Move forward in spite of your fear and it will subside. I can
be reached at krehbielcounseling.com or
krehbielcounseling.blogspot.com. Good luck. James P. Krehbiel