Effexor XR
Noelle Dawson
2005-02-02 17:36:14 UTC
I was on effexor for a while for my chronic anxiety and it didn't do too
much, I was up to 150 the withdraw was awful!! I am on paxil now 50 ml and
no anxiety what a relieve! But a friend of mine is on it for depression and
it works well for her, except she has nightmares. I had anxiety still and
bruised easily and had no sex drive with no orgasm, that was enough of that
one, for sure, cuz that is just wrong.

No side effects for paxil, so far, might be going up to 60, cuz I still get
the odd attack, not sure what doctor will do, perhaps some anxiety is
normal...who knows...

Hope that helps a bit. I started on 37.5 and went up slow, and came down
slow because they side effects can be extreme and they were, I had to go to
my parents to stay to get help with my baby...while I was going through med
change.
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 02:56:14 +0100, Philip Peters
I recall starting on 75 mg as XR did not come in lower doses here. I
also upped my Xanax at the start as I had a couple of days where my
anxiety was exacerbated and I had insomnia.
It passed.
Meryl
I think for starting Effexor 37.5 mg should be the maximum dose. One can
start with Effexor IR (even at a lower dose if necessary) and replace it
by the XR version later.
Philip
I am not sure Efexor 37.5 was available here when I commenced XR. I
know the conventional wisdom at ASAP is to start with 37.5 IR.
One thought. Given that non-anxiety patients are advised (here at
least) to take 37.5 mg twice per day, I wonder about how just taking
the tablet once a day would work. Maybe half a 37.5 mg twice a day
would keep patients more stable.
As for me, back in '98, I needed relief from depression quickly.
Efexor 75 mg plus extra Xanax for a few days worked for me.
As always, YMMV. :0)
Meryl
Tyr
2005-02-13 13:24:03 UTC
I took Effexor at the 75mg level and stayed there for a few months. It
worked great for a short time, but towards the end, I was starting to
slide back down into depression. My side effects were a
bit...um...different. While I still had orgasm issues, my sex drive
went through the roof! Don't think that wasn't frustrating. That's the
primary reason I stopped taking it. My doc prescribed Wellbutrin, but I
haven't had the funds to get it filled yet. Hopefully, the way
Wellbutrin works will be more appropriate for me, since my problem my
be compounded, situationally speaking, but at the root it is just a
chemical imbalance.
Dan
2005-02-14 23:17:19 UTC
Of course everyone is different- with their own unique responses to various
drugs. Also samples of one (anecdotes) are notoriously unreliable. That
said- I had same problem with Effexor. At least it led to exploration of
non-orgasmic intimacy- a widely overlooked pleasure if one can get around
expectations and relax.
If you have same response as I- the Wellbutrin will present practically no
side effects whatsoever. Good luck. -Dan
chemical imbalance.
Tyr
2005-02-16 02:22:54 UTC
Soon after I wrote that, my girlfriend called me on the phone and after
about thirty seconds she told me that she was on her way over. I had
felt that it was just a hum-drum day at that point, but she said I
sounded so down over the phone that she'd spring for the Wellbutrin
because she didn't think I should try to wait until payday. (Which was
today, 2/15)

So, I've taken it...what...4 or 5 times now, and although the insert
from the pharmacy said not to expect any major change for three to four
weeks, today was the first day in months that I felt halfway human,
again. I started taking the XL version tonight, since that's the only
thing that my prescription service has on their list, so I'm getting
kind of excited about what it can do for me.

I actually feel like getting out and doing! Maybe I can take off some
of this "winter weight".

-Tyr
snippage<<
B.G. Kent
2005-02-16 18:54:41 UTC
Good on ya Tyr.

Have a great day.

Bren
http://www.searchtimes.com/brouchers/newyear/index.php?AID=1431&src=newyear-1431
Dan
2005-02-17 17:15:11 UTC
Super dude! Isn't it a wonder when it works?! Things do change- and often
for the better. Guess that is one of the things that keeps me going when I'm
down. Best wishes for you both. -Dan
-Tyr
LadyJ
2005-02-25 04:30:27 UTC
Hey...New to Group, but VERY familiar with Effexor XR. I have been on it
for almost 2 years now. For 10 or more years NOTHING had worked until the
effexor in combo with Clonopin and Trazadone. The initial level for me was
the 150. About 4 months ago I was slowly elevated to 350. Back in action
again. Keep in mind that I do have fairly serious PTSD as well as chemical
imbalances present. But I am Just so thankful to be down from 30+ pills a
day to only 6. LadyJ