I made a connection between panic attacks and anemia!!!!
Steve Balser
2003-06-28 02:05:11 UTC
My daughter and I have something in common. We are both anemic. The
symptoms are:

rapic heart beat
tired fatigued
shortness of breath
felt dizzy or fainted
sad or depressed

I wonder if panic attacks are caused by anemia. I would be curious if
anyone out there went to the doctor and took a blood test to see if they
have anemia.

Also, when we corrected our anemia with B12 and folic acid the panic attacks
STOP!!

Has anyone out there made this kind of connection?

Inquiring minds would like to know...Thanks.Joan
Rick
2003-06-29 19:26:43 UTC
Post by Steve Balser
My daughter and I have something in common. We are both anemic. The
rapic heart beat
tired fatigued
shortness of breath
felt dizzy or fainted
sad or depressed
I wonder if panic attacks are caused by anemia. I would be curious if
anyone out there went to the doctor and took a blood test to see if they
have anemia.
FWIW - no. I've have my blood work done many, many times over the 16+
years I've had PD and there were never any indications of anemia.
Post by Steve Balser
Also, when we corrected our anemia with B12 and folic acid the panic attacks
STOP!!
Has anyone out there made this kind of connection?
Inquiring minds would like to know...Thanks.Joan
It might only be a placebo connection - if you think it's gonna work, it
does. But if that's good enough - what the hey!
Dave

Cletus T. Bumpkin
2004-07-04 10:28:03 UTC
Actually, I have found that treating my hypoglycemia has *greatly*
reduced my panic attacks. Not exactly anemia, but avoiding sugars and
starches (breads), I have really cut down on my number and severity of
attacks. Don't even *think* about drinking alcohol. For fun, let's
look at the symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar):

- Feeling hungry or needing to eat very often
- Feeling anxious or nervous
- Feeling light headed or foggy
- Sweating, palpitations or rapid heart
- Chronic fatigue
- Poor sleep
- Anxiety and/or depression
- Feeling faint
- Hyperventilation or shortness of breath
- Overweight

That's me on all counts. Seriously, I'm not proponing an Atkins diet,
but what I do is pretty close. Small meals frequently. B vitamins
help. Proteins and lipids in quantity -- no carbo's. I was actually
surprised to find out how much of my problem was related to diet. Not a
cure, but definitley a help.

Perhaps I shouldn't post as this is my 1st day after discovery of this
group, but oh well. I'm curious to know the co-morbidity of
hypoglycemia/insulin resistance and panic disorder.